Random sports discussion, plus anything else I want to write about.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Gonzaga's Josh Heytvelt and some Redshirt Arrested with Marijuana, 'Shrooms


The World Wide Leader is reporting that two Gonzaga basketball players, Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis, were arrested last night on suspicion of drug possession, with the Spokane Review confirming the story, and reporting that Gonzaga officials will hold a press conference later today. The fact that two basketball players got arrested on drug possession charges isn't of much interest, particularly the fact that they had marijuana on them, but I'm pretty sure this is first time I've heard of an athlete arrested on possession of psychedelic mushrooms. I must say this greatly improves my opinion of Josh Heytvelt, who has already impressed me this year on the court, particularly the UW game in which he dominated Spencer Hawes for most of the game. The fact that he can do that and also have intimate knowledge of what it feels like to have all the bones in one's arms disappear, or have one's head detach from the rest of his body, is amazing. There's so many questions that this prompts:

-What do two basketball players who happen to be 6-11 and 6-9 do when they want to want to trip balls in Spokane, Washington? Do they go out into the woods? Roll around on the grass in the quad? Do they hole up in their dorm room listening to the Mars Volta? If shit gets too heavy, do they start chain-smoking? Afterwards, do they hug because the experience has brought them so much closer?

-How many other athletes, across the country, have done shrooms? Any hallucinogen? Marijuana and cocaine arrests are so boring; what players are doing the really cool drugs?

-Why the hell is possession of mushrooms a felony? I could maybe see sale or distribution, due to the dangers of mushroom identification, but why is simple possession a felony? It's the Pacific Northwest, there's trees and there's rain, so there's mushrooms everywhere. Does this go for all mushrooms? What if Heytvelt and Davis had just been foraging for chanterelles or morels? Maybe they're some of those weirdos who forage for mushrooms to sell to restaurants. Is that illegal? How do you draw a line between different varieties of mushrooms? Would one be prosecuted for accidentally picking the wrong mushrooms?

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this all goes down. Personally, I'd like to see the players get off scot-free because I like seeing people beat the asinine US drug laws. But that's just my opinion. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this. Give me your thoughts in the comments.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i love it

what a funny image

12:49 AM

 
Blogger Andreas said...

great point about the whole just picking random mushrooms out in the forest, but honestly no jury would buy that. i live in the pac north west and the mushrooms arent that abundant but it is quite easy to score shrooms if you know the right people.

4:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Spokane, the cops are dirty drunks and they sprinkled the pot on the mushrooms! Could not make that stick!!

3:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

3:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

9:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home