Random sports discussion, plus anything else I want to write about.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Weird Thursday NFL games messing up my internal gambling schedule


I don't know what to think about these new Thursday NFL games. It throws off my internal clock, and I can't even watch the games as a non-NFL network subscriber. Hmm. I don't know. Anyway, tomorrow's CINCINNATI (-3)-Baltimore, two teams that have been erratic, but generally good, especially Baltimore, who've recovered from an early funk to play really great the last few weeks. I went 10-6 last week, 9-6-1 the week before, and I've been riding underdogs pretty hard. I'm going to go with Baltimore. Cincinnati's defense has been pretty bad at times, and Baltimore's been running the ball well. I think Baltimore wins it outright. Rest of the picks later this week. 89-85-2 on the season.

Huskies won again tonight, looking pretty good in the process, but against Idaho at home, not exactly a tough matchup. The Dawgs have one more home tune-up against Southern Utah before heading to Spokane to play Gonzaga. Should be a good game. Adrian Oliver really picked up his game beginning with the Eastern Washington game, and he's been added to the starting line-up in place of Ryan Appleby. I like the move because Oliver's a much better defensive player, while I like bringing a shooter as good as Appleby off the bench. It looks like Joel Smith will be out for up to two more months after re-injuring his foot. Too bad for him, though it does ease the UW rotational crunch. It looks like Harvey Perry is going to be the odd man out, right now.

This week continued the bad contract cavalcade in Major League Baseball. Here's my candidate for the worst of the week: Danys Baez to Baltimore for $19 million over 3 years. There's not a middle reliever alive worth that much, and Baez isn't even particularly good anymore. I think the Kei Igawa posting fee by the Yankees was pretty ridiculous. It's twice the posting fee the Mariners paid for Ichiro, for an unproven pitcher. I guess they can do what they want. There was actually two good signings this week: David Dellucci to the Indians for 3 years/12 Mil and Gregg Zaun re-signing with the Blue Jays for 2 years/7.25 Mil. These are contracts that might actually be worth the money. Imagine that. I'm starting to think the Mariners would be better off not signing anyone big, so as not to lose draft picks as compensation, let Meche walk so they can pick up the compensation pick, and start investing heavily in the draft and international signings. One of the effects of the new CBA is slotted bonus figures for draft picks, which should bring down signing bonuses overall. If the free-agent market will continue to be insane, often your best bet is to completely opt out of the system, rather than following the insane GM's of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home